Sunday, May 27, 2012

More Planting...

This is the time of year when my dad has to spend most of his spare time on a tractor in the hay fields since grass or alfalfa has a specific window of time when it is best to be cut and baled.  So...his time is very limited to when he can come out and work in the garden right now.  But, somehow, he still manages to squeeze in a little time here and there. 

Sunday, May 20...
Dad saw there might be a chance for rain, so he came over really early and planted two more rows of sweet corn.  I had no idea he was even headed over to my house and he had it all planted by the time I woke up to get ready for church.  I tell you...I CANNOT keep up with him, but I sure am happy I get to do this garden project with him!  He planted approximately 50 feet of Bodacious Sweet Corn, 50 feet of Iochief Sweet Corn, 50 feet of Peaches & Cream Sweet Corn, 25 feet of Red Indian Corn & 25 feet of Yellow/Purple Indian Corn.

Monday, May 21, we planted the following...
Plants from Aunt Elaine:  Pink Girl Tomato, 2 Roma Tomatoes, Chocolate Cherry Tomato, Yellow Pear Tomato, Sweet 100 Tomato, Rutger Tomato, 2 Hillbilly Tomatoes, 7 Sweet Potatoes, 2 Green Bell Peppers, 2 Jalapenos, Chives

Plants from Garage Sale Friend, Marsha: Red Sweet Pepper, Basil Lemon, Curled Parsley, Basil Purple Ruffles, Basil Spicy Globe, Rosemary & Oregano (Here's the way I decided to plant the herbs for this year...)

Wednesday, May 23, we planted the following...
Seeds: 20 feet Dwarf Long Pod Okra, 40 feet Kentucky Wonder Bush Beans, 40 feet Top Crop Bush Beans and 20 feet Kentucky Wonder Pole Beans.

While I planted the seeds, dad started hoeing the dirt around our 1st two rows of corn. 

As with dad, my time is also limited right now with having both kids home for the summer. Plus, my lack of knowledge of knowing how to operate the tractor/tiller, etc...forces me to wait for dad's help with the big projects, but I know if I have a little extra time, I can ALWAYS use it to re-tie up my 57 ever-expanding tomato plants or hoeing between plants in each row for grass control.  Hoeing in our garden is a NEVER-ENDING job because of all the grass that grows between each plant.  The tiller and cultivator help control grass/weed growth between our rows, but the only way to control the grass between each plant is break up the dirt between each of them and throw more loose dirt on top of the grass to kill it.

No comments:

Post a Comment