Tuesday, May 1, 2012

It's tomato planting time!

Who doesn't love a home grown tomato? My dad and I definitely do!

Well, I guess we were a bit excited because between the 2 of us, we purchased 33 tomato plants.  Then, my awesome Aunt Elaine brought us 15 more plants this past Wednesday!  So...yes...we had A LOT of planting to do.

Friday morning, April 27, dad and I tested our soaker hoses then laid them across the top of our tomato mound.  It was extremely windy that morning, so we determined we would try to put our weed barrier down later in the day.  So later Friday afternoon, my Grandma & Grandpa George came out to help with our big tomato undertaking, as well.  Grandma stayed in the house with my kiddos and grandpa came out to the garden to help.

First, we laid our weed barrier over our mound of dirt...This was a 3-man job for sure! We were SO happy to have grandpa's help! Here's dad and grandpa as they held their pose while I quickly stopped my job and snapped a photo!  I rolled out the weed barrier, grandpa held it down with his feet and garden tools as dad followed behind throwing dirt up on the edges of the barrier to hold it down.  Grandpa looks like a skier and dad looks like a football player...Ha! Ha!
After we finished the row, we planted the tomatoes...all 48 of them!!! Take a look below...Isn't it BEAUTIFUL?!?


We planted 11 varieities of tomatoes...Red Beefsteak, German Queen, Big Boy, Better Boy, Rutger, Arkansas Traveler, Pierce's Pride, Bonnie Grape, Red Cherry, Sweet 100 & Cour Di Beu.  We plan to stake the tomatoes in the near future but are still trying to determine which option is the best, most cost effective way to do this...

No comments:

Post a Comment