Wednesday, March 28, 2012

There's always work to be done!

There are already signs of grass and weeds trying to pop up in the dirt...This morning, dad came over to show me what I needed to do next to keep ahead of the weed and grass regrowth around the plants.  So, after we took Kately to school, Brett and I spent about and hour this morning out in the garden using the tools pictured below loosening up the dirt around our plants, then pulling more loose dirt up around them. 
It wasn't too tough, just a lot of bending and squatting down which can wear someone out really fast!  It's still SO much easier than picking up rocks!  You can't see a whole lot from this, but try to notice how the dirt is loosened up again and pulled up in mounds around the plants (these are cabbage).


Our lettuce has been showing for a about a week now.  Our first potato plants were peeking out of the earth this morning, too!  The first picture is the potato plant and the second picture is the lettuce plant...They are so small and fragile right now...I can't wait to see what they look like when they are full grown!


On a fun note...(this is the second time this has happened since we started this garden project by the way) As I had just finished working in the garden this morning, I was walking back to my house dirty and sweaty.  I glanced down and found this...You can say what you want, but it's my own little way of feeling like it's a pat on the back saying, "Good job today! Even though it's not always easy work, just keep putting forth the effort and soon you will be able to reap what you've sown."

No comments:

Post a Comment