Monday, March 19, 2012

Berries!

I haven't spoken very much about our other smaller project but I want to make sure it is documented, too.  We have a separate smaller area in our backyard to plant blueberries and strawberries.  In my research, I have learned these berries require a more acidic soil than the vegetables, so they can't be planted in the same area as the vegetables.  It all has to do with the pH level of the soil...

Yesterday afternoon, Sunday, March 18, 2012...we worked on the blueberry and strawberry area. Since strawberry plants have runners, we decided to put railroad ties around this area to help with mowing.  Behind the strawberries is where we planted the blueberry bushes.  Here's another little interesting bit of information I've learned during this process...I should plant atleast two different blueberry varieties to ensure cross-pollination. A single blueberry plant will produce fruit, but the yields per plant will be higher if more than one plant is grown. 

So...we planted 3 different types of blueberry bushes, but planted a total of 5 bushes.  We also planted approx. 22 Surecrop strawberry plants and 23 Jewel strawberry plants. We will put straw over the strawberries to help with weed control. I am still trying to determine what type of mulch I will place on the black landscape paper around blueberries...I want to make sure it is something that won't lower the acidity in the surrounding soil or counteract what the blueberry bushes need. Here's how this area looks currently...





No comments:

Post a Comment