Wednesday, April 4, 2012

My New Favorite Store...

Since we have begun this garden project, I have found myself visiting stores I never thought I'd find myself in, unless I was with my dad or grandpa.  I would say I have averaged visiting Lowe's, Orscheln's and MFA three times per week.  Not always buying something--mostly just looking around at garden tools/equipment and/or reading plant labels.  BUT...I took my first trip to Nixa Hardware for the first time last week and I was so impressed by everything!  They were very stocked up on everything and there was staff available everywhere!  The staff was so friendly and I could tell it was definitely a hometown store, even though the store is really big! The staff seemed to know customers by their names and seemed to like their job.  The plant area was fully stocked with so many healthy looking plants and their variety of plants available was better than any of the stores I had been frequenting.

We went there again this morning and of course, I walked out of the store with more than I had gone in there for but I know it was partly because of the atmosphere I experienced.  It made me want to stay longer!  Way to go, Nixa Hardware!  (FYI...I don't know anyone that works there or even who owns it, but I just felt like sharing where I had the best all-around luck finding what I was looking for and being satisfied with what I found.)

Even though I only came in the store for onions, my purchase consisted of:
10 white onion sets, 10 red onion sets, 2 Bell pepper plants, 1 jalapeno plant, 3 cantaloupe plants and 3 watermelon plants (I really, really, really wanted to buy a bunch of tomato plants, but I held off for now.)

When I arrived home, I planted the onions in the area where some of my first onions hadn't survived.  Then I went ahead and planted about 15 ft of Eggplant seeds, both bell pepper plants and the jalapeno plant.  I know I may be rushing the season a little, but as for the cataloupe and watermelon...I saw they take 85 days to harvest, so I decided to give a few a try now then plant some by seed on towards May.  That way, maybe I'll have some early summer and late summer!  When we got home, Brett wanted to have some melon right then...He's still learning the "waiting game" in gardening...But, aren't we all?  Ha...We are going to wait a few days to plant my cantaloupe and watermelon until dad and I determine the very best place to put those in the garden due to the area they require to grow. 

On a side note, about 12 feet of the lettuce we planted earlier had a little mishap yesterday.  My free 'hired' help accidently squished it with the tractor tire as he was trying to till up the unplanted portion of our garden again.  So...I replanted that 12 feet of seed yesterday...It's no big deal at all--I just wanted to document it.  Of course, I AM glad that it was his fault and not mine! Hee Hee... :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment