Tuesday, April 24, 2012

I Can Hardly Wait!


It has been quite a while since I have had anything to post because last week, of course, we had quite a bit of rain and we got mom and dad moved out of their house on time and as planned. It was a very busy and tiring week but needless to say last week's schedule didn't allow any time in the garden. On Friday, however, I did get out and pull some more dirt up around my cabbage and broccoli. My first section of okra never popped up, so I also planted a new 30' section of Clemson Spineless okra...Let's keep our fingers crossed that some of these actually germinate this time!

We've worked so hard these past few months preparing the soil in the garden that I am having a REALLY hard time waiting to put more stuff in the ground. Throughout this process, dad has continually told me not to rush getting everything into the ground. As usual, his wisdom prevailed AGAIN! :) Luckily, we didn't have everything already planted because the heavy frost we received last Saturday night (April 21) would have probably ruined most of it. The 2 bell peppers and 1 jalapeno I had planted received some frost damage...we are hoping they will still pull through but at this point, we aren't sure.

Good news, though...I think tomorrow's forecast and dad's/my schedule may allow us to get a little more planted. As of my last count, we have a total of 32 tomato plants (variety of types), 3 watermelon plants, 3 cantaloupe plants, 4 cucumber plants and some seeds, 4 different varieties of sweet corn, 2 different varieties of beans, green and yellow squash seeds and a packet of pea seeds. This is more than we will have time to plant tomorrow, but atleast I'll get to play in the dirt for a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment