Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Work smarter? Not Harder? Ha...

So if you know anything about me...I like to think things through and make sure I'm not wasting time and effort on something that can be done a more efficient way...Which led me to thinking..."Surely there is a machine for rent that can pick up rocks!"  I called a rental place and they said the only thing they had that could assist in our rock issue would be a rock rake.  So...I called my dad and ran this idea by him in which he replied, "I don't think it's going to work like they say it will, but we can try it."

The PERK of having a dad who does some farming on the side is that he has a lot of equipment that most people would have to rent and learn to use.  He's actually had a rock rake for years and had almost forgotten he even owned it...so he hooked it up yesterday and we gave it a try...

Guess what?  It didn't work...just like dad said it wouldn't. (He's so wise...)  So...we had to do it the "old fashioned way".  We rolled up our sleeves and picked rocks for almost 2 hours yesterday...Along with the hundreds of rocks we picked up, dad also found an interesting piece of history...This is an old turning plow point.  He estimates that it is 50-75 years old...Yes, some old farmer was probably plowing that same piece of land and had to quit for the day because that same old rocky land broke his plow.



Here's the 1st load and we aren't even half way through...But...with some hardwork...someday the garden will be BEAUTIFUL!

2 comments:

  1. Love it! I am so excited for you guys...I just wish that we lived closer because I would totally help:)) Excited to keep up with your progress via the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, just found this blog thanks to a post from my mom. That will be a beautiful garden someday, I too would help with the rock pickin if I lived closer, but as they say, hard work pays off, no work pays none.

    ReplyDelete