Thursday, August 9, 2012

Pumpkins...

Dad informed us a about 5 years ago that pumpkins should be planted on the 4th of July if they are going to be ready for October.  So for about 5 years now, he's prepared a spot for the grand kids to plant pumpkins on the 4th of July.  This year, we decided to use a portion of our garden to do the same. 
We had a large 4th of July family gathering at our house, so just before dark, we got the younger kids lined up on the outskirts of the garden so each could plant a few pumpkin seeds. 
 Aunt Elaine kind of "managed" the line as she watched the annual pumpkin planting party!

Each child got their turn to walk out to the garden and plant a few hills of pumpkin seeds...My sister, Amanda, was the official photographer for the event...Thanks, Aunt Manda, for these photos!

It's Brett's Turn! 


It's Jarrett's Turn!


It's Jude's Turn!


 It's Madelyn's Turn!


 It's Reece's Turn!

Kately also had her turn with planting the pumpkins, but for some reason, both of her pics and one of Reece's pics were too blurry to post.  I am still working on this dilemma because I definitely don't want to leave her out of this post if at all possible! :-)

They planted 3 seeds in the top of each mound of dirt dad had formed prior to the kids coming out to the garden.  

We planted 5 types of orange pumpkins.  Then...dad had saved some seed from some white decorative pumpkins my mom had purchased a couple years ago which we decided to see if they would grow, too!  I sure hope they do...they are unique and beautiful!
After the kids planted the pumpkins, we had to wait a couple weeks to surround the plants with a thick layer of straw to help with weed control, to lock in moisture and to give the pumpkins a barrier to rest upon to help keep them from rotting &/or pests when they begin to grow.

This is definitely not one of the best pictures of me, but dad insisted because I was coated in sweat (yes, I had sweat in my eyes, too!) and had dirt all over my forehead.  The cup I am holding is one of dad's notorious cups of ice water he is rarely seen without when out on the farm or in the garden.  Ice water never tasted so good as it did that morning...I sure am you can't smell pictures because I know this one would knock you over!  LOL...


No comments:

Post a Comment